Your user profile contains information about you that may be displayed on your website, depending on your theme and website design. It’s important to keep your information up to date, especially on blog type websites that display Author pages to website visitors.
Step 1: Log into your WordPress website. Learn how to log into your WordPress website.
Step 2: Go to your user profile page. Your user profile page is accessible from both the Main Navigation Menu under “Users” and by clicking/tapping on your Username or Gravatar located on the Admin Toolbar in the upper right-hand corner.
Step 3: Your user profile page will open. The profile page has numerous options and fields that enable you to customize your profile.
The Email and Nickname fields are mandatory fields but all the other fields are optional. The visibility of your personal information (e.g. email address, website link, biographical info, etc.) depends on your website theme and design. Some website designs (example: a blogging website) might display some of your personal information on the “Author’s Page” or in an “About the Author” teaser on blog pages.
q If you are a WeaverWorx Customer you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to
Click/Tap on Profile Sections below for more information about the fields and options in each section:
- Visual Editor – The Visual Editor is a rich text editor in the WordPress post edit screen. Checking this box disables the visual editor when writing, and uses the Text Editor (plain HTML). We strongly recommend users without basic HTML knowledge not to tick this option. Below is an example of what the Visual Editor looks like in a Post.
- Syntax Highlighting – Syntax highlighting allows code in posts to be highlighted, in different colors and fonts, based on the language it’s written in (example: HTML), to make it easier to read. Checking this box disables the syntax highlighting when editing code in the built-in editor.
- Admin Color Scheme – You can change the
colourscheme of the Admin Administration Screens. To select a colour, check the radio button next to the colour scheme. The left two coloursare menu background coloursand the right two are hover colors.
- Keyboard Shortcuts – Checking this box Enables keyboard shortcuts for comment moderation. With keyboard
shortcutsyou can use a combination of keys to do things that normally require a mouse. Read more about WordPress Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Toolbar – Checking this box will display the Admin Toolbar when you are viewing your website.
- Username – You cannot change your Username. Your username cannot be changed by a website Admin or by your WeaverWorx designer. Your username is created during the account creation process and is used during the login process. Your username will be displayed on your website by default unless you have chosen another option in the “Display name publicly as” field.
- First name – Type in your first name in this text box.
- Last name – Type in your last name in this text box.
- Nickname – This is a mandatory field. Your nickname may be the same as your Username or it can be different. If you don’t supply a Nickname, then your Username will be placed in this field.
- Display name publicly as – From the drop-down list, select the name that will be displayed on the websites.
- Email – This is a mandatory field. The email address must be unique for each user. The website will send you emails for administrative purposes (example: password resets) and when someone comments on your posts. Only registered Admins on your website will have access to your email address on this website.
- Website – If you have another website (example: a personal blog) you can add your website address in this field.
- Google+ – Enter your Google+ profile URL.
- Twitter username – Enter your Twitter account name without the @.
- Facebook profile URL – Enter your Facebook profile URL.
- Biographical Info – Type in a short description of yourself.
- Profile Picture – The small picture displayed next to your name is called an avatar. Your WordPress website has built-in support for Gravatar. Gravatar is a Globally Recognized Avatar. With
Gravataryou upload your avatar (image) and create your profile just once, and then when you use a Gravatar-enabled website, your Gravatar is shown along with your comment. Gravatar is a free service. To create or change your Gravatar, go to https://en.gravatar.com/.
- New Password – Click on the “Generate Password” button if you want to create a new password for your account. The website will generate a new Strong password for you. You can change this generated password. A password strength indicator will be shown just below the password field to show you how strong your new password is. If you choose to use a weak password, a checkbox will appear to confirm that you want to use a weak password. You can check this box to confirm that you want to use the weak password.
- Sessions – Click this button to log out of other devices, such as your phone or a public computer.
Yoast SEO Settings
WeaverWorx uses Yoast SEO (search engine optimization software) on all WordPress websites we design. Yoast adds the following fields to your user profile:
- Title to use for Author page – Type in the name you want to for your author page.
- Meta description to use for Author page – Type in a short description of yourself for your author page.
- Do not allow search engines to show this author’s archives in search results – Check this box if you do not want search engines (like Google, Bing, etc.) to index and show your archives in search results.
- Disable SEO analysis – Check this box if you want to disable the Yoast SEO Analysis on your website pages and posts.
- Disable readability analysis – Check this box if you want to disable the Yoast Readability Analysis on your website pages and posts.
Step 4: Click/tap on the “Update Profile” button to save your changes.
After clicking/tapping the button you should receive a confirmation message at the top of the screen saying “User Updated”.
This user-guide is only intended to assist WeaverWorx customers with accessing and managing their WordPress websites. WeaverWorx is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with WordPress, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates. The official WordPress website can be found at https://wordpress.org/.